The Wallace House
The Wallace House, built in 1855, is one of the nation's most historic houses. On April 3, 1865, President Lincoln and General Grant met face-to-face for the last time. Petersburg had fallen, and General Grant was awaiting word on the fall of Richmond. The owner of the house, Thomas Wallace, a local attorney, had been a political ally of Lincoln when he was a member of the Whig party in Congress. Wallace's wife was cousin to Confederate Lieutenant-General Ambrose Powell Hill, who had been killed on April 2. Despite the family's grief, the President was welcomed. Lincoln and Grant met inside the vestibule near the front door, where a chair was placed for the President. Lincoln's long legs extended onto the front porch floor. The chair in which Lincoln sat remains in Petersburg today with a descendant of the Wallace family.
The Wallace House is privately owned and is not open for tours. An interpretive marker is located across from the Wallace House.
204 South Market Street
Petersburg, VA 23803
(804) 733-2401 - Petersburg Visitor Center