Hustings Courthouse (Petersburg Courthouse)

The Petersburg Courthouse, built between 1837 and 1839, was the official Confederate headquarters during the Siege of Petersburg. Soldiers from both sides could see the courthouse clock from the trenches and they set their timepieces by it. The clock tower was a favorite target of Union artillerists, who poured an estimated 20,000 shells into the city. When Petersburg fell on April 3, 1865 a Union flag waved above it. President Lincoln passed by the Courthouse on April 7, 1865 en route to Centre Hill. The Courthouse is still used today for circuit court.

Location Information

150 North Sycamore Street
Petersburg, VA 23803
(804) 733-2367 – Petersburg Clerk of Court Office