Poplar Grove National Cemetery

In 1866, Lt. Colonel James Moore began his survey of the Petersburg area to locate land for a National Cemetery. The tract of land selected had been the campground for the 50th New York Volunteer Engineers. During the war they constructed a gothic-style, pine log church called Poplar Grove. The Cemetery is the final resting place of over 6,000 Federal soldiers who fell in battles from Petersburg to Lynchburg.

Location Information

8001 Vaughan Road
Petersburg , VA 23803
(804) 469-4093